This is the recipe for a gluten, dairy and sugar free Twix-looking bar, but with 10 times more protein in a single bar, less fat and approximately 14g of fibre. These lovely and indulgent yet guilt free treat are perfect as a post workout as they contain great fast acting carbohydrates from the dates. The added SCI-MX Pro-VX protein helps to make the biscuit base crunchy too. Carob has been chosen over dark chocolate as it contains slightly more protein than regular dark chocolate with no added sugar. Plus, the flavour is slightly milder and works perfectly with the caramel and biscuit layers.
Ingredients for the biscuit:
65g Vanilla SCI-MX Pro-VX Protein
85g Vitafiber syrup
Ingredients for the caramel:
20g Unsweetened almond milk
1tsp Vanilla extract
Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
Ingredients for the chocolate coating:
50g Carob drops (Siesta brand)
30g Unsweetened almond milk
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius, line a baking tray with some greaseproof paper and a little spray oil. Place your dates in some boiling water to soak as this will make them easier to blend.
2. To make your biscuits, add your Vitafiber and protein in a bowl and mix until all combined.
3. Using your hands, roll it into a ball and divide into 6 pieces, then roll out into the shape showed below and flatten them slightly to create that perfect twix shape.
4. Place on your grease-proof paper and bake for 8-10 minutes until they are golden brown.
5. For the caramel, remove your dates from the water and add into a food processor along with your almond milk, vanilla extract and salt. Blend for a few minutes, scraping down the sides and repeating until you have a smooth caramel like consistency (around 5 minutes in total).
6. Spoon your caramel equally across your biscuits, then place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes to help set in place, making the coating process easier.
7. To make your chocolate, add your carob and almond milk into a bowl and microwave for around 1 minute, stirring halfway and ensuring everything is completely melted and smooth.
8. To coat your bars, either place on a cooling rack and spoon over the chocolate, or spread the chocolate out in a bowl or Tupperware container and dunk them in, ensuring all sides are well coated.
9. To finish
off, set in the freezer for around 30 minutes and then enjoy.
1 Bar (Out of 6):
9g Sugars* Naturally occurring.